Volunteer Animal Welfare in the Amazon Rainforest (Peru)
~Volunteer in the Peruvian Amazon with rescued rainforest animals. This position provides an opportunity to assist in the physical and psychological well-being of a number of fascinating neotropical animals which have either been rescued or are being rehabilitated. Some of the species at the centre include red howler monkey, red brocket deer, coati, night monkey, blue and yellow macaw, grison, brown capuchin and peccary. Animal welfare volunteers will live, work, learn and teach alongside a veterinarian and the Fauna Forever research and conservation teams that frequent the centre which is located in the Amazon rainforest just outside the town of Puerto Maldonado.
An animal welfare volunteer undertakes a number of daily tasks, from feeding animals and maintaining their enclosures, to beahavioural studies teaching visiting guests. The position also offers anyone following a veterinary career or course who would like experience in tropical vetinary medicine the chance to practice at the centre.
Animal Welfare Volunteer Highlights:
- Help with the preparation of food for the rescued animals
- Partake in feeding rounds in the mornings and evenings
- Assist with the construction and repair of animal enclosures
- Assist with the cleaning and furnishing of animal enclosures
- Help ensure the animals are kept healthy and fit
- Assist with the carrying of goods when the team goes into town for supplies with the Jeep
- Guide and teach local and international visitors to the centre
- Enjoy a number of rainforest experiences on days off including; a parrot clay-lick, canoeing on the river, local nightlife in town, climbing a rainforest viewing tower, day trips into the Tambopata National Reserve, etc.
Location of Rainforest Animal Rescue Centre
View Asociación Fauna Forever Study Sites in a larger map
~Dates & Prices
All prices are fully inclusive (*see below) from midday on the first date till midday on the last date:
- Oct-Mar (US$70 per day)
- Apr-Sep (US$75 per day)
- Oct-Mar (US$60)
- Apr-Sep (US$70)
- Oct-Mar (US$55)
- Apr-Sep (US$60)
* What the fee includes
- Accomodation from start to end of the phase
- Three substantial and healthy meals every day
- Clean drinking water at all times
- Airport (Puerto Maldonado) transfers on arrival and departure
- Training: Health & safety; Species identification; Impacts and challenges affecting the rainforest in Tambopata; Machete use; and much more.
What the fee does not include
- Travel insurance (this is essential)
- Spending money for snacks, sodas and souvenirs
> The Animal Rescue and Rehabilitation Centre
The centre is run by a group of professionals and volunteers who are devoted to the promotion, protection and welfare of rainforest animals -free and captive- and the conservation of their natural environment. The illegal trade of wildlife is third in the world after arms and drugs, moving over US$20 million worth of wild species per year (60% fauna). The illegal and uncontrolled extraction of flora and fauna has a strong impact on the loss of biodiversity in the Amazon Rainforest. At the centre we believe the best tool is to inform and educate people -both locally and internationally- to make them aware of the importance of wildlife in the rainforest. The centre for rehabilitation and conservation of wild animals in the rainforest near Puerto Maldonado gives priority to environmental education workshops for all different education levels in the local population. We are visited by schools, universities and families throughout the year and with the help of our volunteers we have the opportunity to create a greatly improved understanding about rainforest wildlife.